Tuesday, May 31, 2011

family really does make everything better

So I've just come back from an absolutely perfect weekend. It all started  Thursday at 4:30, robin and I got out of class and hit the road in summer clothing, windows down and music loud. it was a relatively smooth 6 hour drive down to DC (relatively as in there was a 20 minute delay due to traffic). so we get there, fin parking right in front of my building, go up to watch some tv and fall asleep. 


The next morning (Friday) we wake up kinda late, so my mom and my broth are already gone. we had agreed that I would make brunch so i did: the menu was Api, a Bolivian purple corn drink that she wanted to try again, and arepas with scrambled eggs, chorizo and pico de gallo. it was quite good, I think I went a little overboard with the salt, but the sweetness of the api kinda toned that down. afterwards we went up to the pool to tan a little, then came back down for her to get ready and by 1:00pm she was gone.at that moment I decided to procrastinate, I watched a couple movies, ate some cereal, checked facebook like a mad woman and re organized the fridge (as I'm sure most of us culinarians do every time we get home). so 6 o'clock rolled around, I had dinner plans with my mom and my dear friend Shayna who happens to be spending the summer in DC. Her and I are big fans of all of Jose Andres's restaurants, and knew some people who worked at his Jaleo restaurant in Crystal City so we went to visit. The food was absolutely perfect as always, Shayna's extern sous-chef is now the exec chef there, and my friend Andre works sautee station, so we got treated to more food than we could eat. amongst the highlights was the baby paella, the bread with tomato and Serrano, the seared scallops, the squid with ink sauce, the rice with duck and foie gras foam, and the grilled steak. Suffice to say the food was exquisite, the company very agreeable and the conversation very entertaining (always is with a couple gases of wine), and this was only the beginning of my weekend!


The next day was Saturday, the morning was a bit boring and pointless so I wont bore you with the details, but at around 2:30pm I left the salon with a new haircut and dolled up hair. I went straight home as I was missing the first half of the Champion's League final match. I get home and the score is tied 1-1, halftime, lots of beer, looks promising. I make myself a choripan as everyone else had already eaten, for those of you who are not Bolivian choripan is basically a version of a hot dog made with chorizo, crunchier bread and lettuce and tomato, generally hot sauce too. It was a beautiful match, Barcelona played brilliantly and won 3-1 against Manchester. after that I introduced my mom to Eddie Izzard, my new comedic obsession who she enjoyed very much. after that we got ready to go to the theater. we arrived at the Kennedy center about an hour earlier than we had to, which gave us the chance to enjoy the splendid view of Georgetown from the patio. the play was very entertaining, with an outstanding cast full of talent. The name of the play was Follies and was a story of two couples who were friends from the past with a very complex love triangle and some other artistic friends of theirs, I won't spoil it for you just so you can go look it up.  


The next day was Sunday, I spent the entire day looking forward to picking up my sister from the airport, but that wasn't until 7:00m so I had to find some other distractions, amongst those was going with my mom to a restaurant she wanted me to try, Leopold's. it's located in Georgetown, hidden between an alley of modern design stores and a steep flight of stairs. the menu is very unique, Austrian dishes and apparently fantastic deserts. we went for some soft poached eggs, grilled salmon with fennel, walnut and date salad, and a cold cuts platter. Indeed it was a very nice place, nice ambiance, and light meal. After that we went home and watched some more Eddie Izzard which made time go by quite fast. all of a sudden it was 6:00pm. we both got dressed up since we had to go to a party right after picking up my sister from the airport. we rushed to Dulles airport and waited around for my sister to pass customs. at about 7:20 I saw her come out, I ran to great her and help her get her bags to the car, my mom seemed to be very impressed by my technical ability to remember how to get to the car. we then immediately went to this party I told you about. it was a birthday celebration of a dear family friend. he lives in India, his daughters are very good friends with my mom and his granddaughter is like a sister to me. it was his 82nd birthday, and he had clearly been celebrating for a while when we got there!  we had a great dinner, one of his daughter's husband is a fanatic cook and so the food (and cheese selection) was outstanding. we went back home rather early as the party started to die down.


the next day was my last one in DC, a Monday. we were invited to the other daughter's house, a place that I like to refer to as my second home. this house is the place where I went almost every weekend for quite a while when I was living in DC, and the people who lie in it are closer to me than most of my family, so I absolutely refused to leave without at least spending a couple hours with them. We got there at about 11:00, we had a couple drinks, ate some nachos with guacamole that I made and waited around for Robin to come pick me up. she arrived just as the other guests to the party started to turn up, so I said my goodbyes, thanked everyone for the lovely weekend and drove the 6 hours back, listening to Eddie Izzard, yes I know it's a bit of an over kill but he's THAT GOOD!


I know there are no pictures on this one, sorry but I was having too much fun to pick up my camera, will try harder next time :) thank you all for reading, I do hope you all had as much fun as I did! 

No comments:

Post a Comment